Friday, September 5, 2008

Tourist Series, No. 4


This was my first stop in lower Manhattan after getting off the subway in the Financial district. This statue of George Washington is in front of Federal Hall, where he took the oath for office as first president of the United States on April 30, 1789. I stood here for about 15 minutes, and there was a steady stream of visitors who went up and stood by the statue and had their photographs taken. I was amazed by the number of people who I would guess were foreign tourists who wanted to be photographed with George. I am trying to figure out why this is. It was amazing to see. It would be as if I went to Japan and wanted to be photographed with a statue of Oda Nobunaga. (He was voted Number 1 of the top 100 Historical figures in a recent poll, but I have no idea who he was...)

No comments: