Monday, September 15, 2008

Ottawa


So I am in Ottawa this week, and free to explore the city and the museums. Needless to say, I am going nuts with all the wonderful things to photograph! One of the first things I came across is this National War Memorial. I don't usually go around looking at war memorials, but the sculpture that is the centerpiece of this is just magnificent. The artist was Vernon March of England. The memorial was dedicated in 1939 by His Majesty King George VI. How is that for a sense of timeless history? But it is the detail in this huge sculpture that grabs your attention. Beautiful proportions, evocative expressions on the faces of the soldiers, and the details in the clothing and the accuracy of what they are wearing and the sense of movement make this a masterpiece in my eyes. It is quite moving as well, I might add.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sculpture and especially the way the photographer has captured it, is so moving it is hard to take one's eyes away from it. It is a gifted artist who can evoke a range of emotions, especially empathy, from those who view the work.

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you for your wonderful comments. I really appreciate them.