Saturday, October 11, 2008

Dawn at the Hermitage


The day begins for the hermits at 3:30 AM. My day began at 5:30AM when I awoke to photograph Vespers at 6:00AM, and then Mass at 6:30AM. After Mass was over, it was still dark and I headed back to my cell, when I saw this view at first light. The Hermitage is building a tomb on their property, based on a structure in the Holy Land. It is still under construction, but as a silhouette, you can't tell that it is not finished. The fact that a cedar tree is already planted next to the building adds to the feeling. I have never been to the Holy Land, but it seems as if it would look just like this. Naturally I was stopped in my tracks, and spent half an hour before breakfast trying for different views of the scene.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Wow, that is absolutely stunning. And to think you were up and awake and at Vespers for a while before the sun even came up like this... Just gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

I agree with asaga - absolutely stunning. What a wonderful sense of being there in the moment for the viewer.