Monday, September 21, 2009

Abstract Expressionism


I should probably call this image "Cheap Tricks." This is part of the pile of old shingles in the side yard which I have taken off the roof. Winding through the view is a bright orange hose from my air compressor, used for the nail gun. When I looked down and saw this I thought it would make an interesting abstract photo. So I shot it, but looking at it later, I decided it needed more. So I did the unthinkable - I increased the saturation of the image in Photoshop. This wildly accented the differences in color of two different layers of shingles. So now it is an unrealistic image, but more interesting than it was originally. But it is still a cheap trick.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheap tricks works for me. This is so much more interesting, I think, than it would've been as a "real" picture. Love the vivid colors and it does look like an abstract composition--not just a pile of trash--with the intense hues. I don't see anything wrong with a picture that's been revised through Photoshop, especially if it's not a news picture and is posted for the pleasure of your fans. For me, the picture became art and I enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Anonymous all the way. If only all of our trash could be this beautiful.

Anonymous said...

If only every cheap trick could come out this brilliant. It's appealing in a way I can't describe.

Di

Anonymous said...

I would never imagine this to be old roof shingles. Love the color - fun art!
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

Wow! This is fun - I do a cheap trick and everyone loves it! Thanks for the comments. I joke about the "cheap trick" but I must confess that I found the image fascinating. I guess it is my background in newspapers where nothing is ever changed in a photograph, that inclines me to believe that this is never acceptable. Actually it is kind of nice.

Anonymous said...

I love the bright colors and the abstract design - "Junk Art" to the max...! bsk