Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Million Galaxies


I took this photograph in the back yard. In daylight. It's not galaxies at all. I took down the aluminum awning over the back door to paint it. It is painted white, and was covered with some black stuff on the outside, and inside a very delicate gray pattern of some kind of mold, I think. So I photographed it with a close-up lens. I thought it made an interesting pattern. Then when working on the image in Photoshop, I imagined what it would look like as a "negative print" where the blacks and whites are reversed. In a darkroom it used to be a relatively complicated process, but in Photoshop it was just a click. And guess what, I am not thinking of this as a cheap trick - I studied with the photographer Minor White, and he used the negative print for some of his images. My conscience is clear! By the way, please click on the image to see a much larger picture. There is a lot of interesting detail to be seen.

1 comment:

Midge said...

OMG, you studied with Minor White? I did not know that. I am so jealous.