Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Revealing Light


There are two ways to think of photographing an object - one way is to photograph it for what it is. The other way is to photograph it for what else it can be. if you use "soft" light, as I did here, you can see every detail in the object, in this case, a piece of driftwood. If you use bright sunlight, the object will have dark shadows, and may be more dramatic in its appearance, and it is liable to look like "something else." So I chose this soft, "revealing light" for this piece of wood. One way to get this soft light is to photograph it on an overcast day, as I did here, and the light comes from every direction, and eliminates all shadows.
This piece of driftwood is interesting - it comes from the house next door. It has been sitting on the ground in a garden next to the house, and I had seen that it was there, but I never stopped to look at it closely. Today I had to move it to put my ladder where it was, and that's when I realized what a beautiful object it is. Trying to decide what to use for a background was not easy. I considered the lawn, and then the driveway. An hour later it occurred to me that fresh dirt would be great, so I raked a spot in the garden at home, and brought this over to my house to do the photograph. I think that it is the perfect background. What beautiful form it has!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. The curves of the wood are so sensuous. Art by nature. It doesn't get any better than this.

Anonymous said...

Now I think you should steal your neighbor's driftwood again and photograph it in the sunlight so we can see the comparison! Wonderful piece of wood.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Such wonderful detail in an overlooked object. And what a fantastic gem you've made out of that second look. I agree with Joan, I'd like to see it in sunlight, too.

Di

Anonymous said...

Stunning piece of driftwood. Doesn't seem possible that it's a natural piece. Incredible what nature creates...bsk