Saturday, January 15, 2011

Memorial Service


There was a memorial service today for my aunt Jean, my mom's twin sister. She passed away a week or so ago in South Carolina. My aunt Jean outlived her sister for about a year. Because she and my Uncle Bill lived most of their lives in Wantagh, there was a memorial service there today at the church they attended. On the table were family photographs of my aunt Jean and her children and family. Among them was this photograph of Jean, left, and my mom, Ruth, on the right, back when they were teenagers. I was really taken by the photo for several reasons. I had never seen this before, and it is an absolutely lovely photo. I love the care and craftsmanship taken in creating studio portraits in the old days - I would guess this photo was taken in the late 1920's or early 1930's. My mom and aunt Jean used to sing together in church. My grandfather was an organist and they used to sing while he accompanied them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a lovely photo. I am sorry for your loss.

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you for your kind thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Karen, Joan & I asked cousin Carol for a copy of this photo. We had never seen it before. Mom/Ruth looks so beautiful!