Friday, January 21, 2011

The Texture of Snow


The short version of this story is that I couldn't shovel the driveway today because I over-did it the other day. But I still went outside to look around. It was a gorgeous morning with fresh snow everywhere and the sunlight raking across the surface of the snow at a low angle. The snow is pretty deep in the side yard, so I must confess to just standing in the driveway to look for photographs. This is the best that I could come up with. We are so accustomed to the sunlight shining down from nearly overhead, that it really is a surprise to see what sunlight at a low angle reveals. In this case, is shows that the surface of the snow is not a completely smooth surface - it has quite a pockmarked texture. Ah nature, always a surprise.

No comments: