Sunday, October 23, 2011

Dad's Chair


Ok, so I took this photograph with a real camera. Really. No joke. My toy camera. I came up on the porch this afternoon and saw the sunlight on the seat of my father's chair. In the summertime, the sun is so high in the afternoon, that the porch is in shade. This time of year, the sun is lower, and thus the sun cast these wonderful shadows of the spindles on the seat of the chair. I first photographed the chair from the front and slightly above. Thought I had a shot. Then I moved in and looked straight down, and then knew that this was the shot. More abstract, and stronger. My father was a life-long member of the Rotary Club, and they presented this chair to him, and now it sits on our front porch.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You caught wonderful shawdows!
Joan

Anonymous said...

I love the photo and really loved the story of your father and the chair

Diane

Anonymous said...

Sam noted the gorgeous shadows but was quite moved by the symbolism of the fallen leaf, now in your father's place, both literally and figuratively.

Fallen leaves are beautiful traces of a glorious past.

Much could be written about what is seen in the mind's eye.

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you all, for these wonderful comments.