Monday, October 24, 2011

Spotted Apple, in Strange Light


I went over to the grocery store after dinner, to get some apples. "An apple a day keeps the doctor away," as they say, so I eat an apple a day. When it is not the peak of apple season, I buy Granny Smith apples. Half the year they come from New Zealand, I believe. But the ones in the store now are domestic. What surprised me when I picked up the first apple, was to see that it was covered with spots. I don't remember seeing spots on Granny Smith apples before. So I decided to photograph it. I spent about 45 minutes trying a number of different kinds of lighting. I used a spotlight directly over the lens to light this shot. It shows something called the "limb effect" in that there are shadows on both the left and right side of the apple. Edward Weston did some famous nude photographs of a model on a sand dune, using the sun to get this same lighting effect.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Weston photographed nudes & you are photographing apples in the same light. I am laughing!
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

Yeah, it is easier to find an apple that will "pose" for me!