Monday, October 10, 2011

Looking at Jupiter


Sorry for the delayed post - I was up until 3:30 AM last night putting the telescope and equipment away. I decided to photograph the moon last night, and when I was done, I showed Liz and Sarah first the Moon, and then Jupiter. Liz had seen these things in the past, but Sarah had not, and was amazed. Most people are, when they get to see the Moon or Jupiter or Saturn for the first time through a telescope. These objects are stunningly beautiful, and there is the extra dimension of knowing you are looking at the real thing, not just a photograph. This photo is just a bit blurry - it was taken by the light of the moon. It is a 6 second exposure at f/2.8 at ISO 3200 with my Nikon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i remember the first time i saw jupiter and saturn through a telescope. it was AWESOME!!! the rings are SO cool!!! that is a great shot in such low light. if you don't mind, i have a question..
i am thinking of getting a new camera, and am torn between the nikon d5100 and the canon eos rebel t3i.
with your vast experience both professionally and personally, do you have any suggestions?

Ken Spencer said...

My brother-in-law bought the Nikon D3100 and I recommended it to another friend. I did some research and couldn't figure out what the D5100 had that the D3100 didn't have. A friend has a rebel t2i which I played with for a few days. Perhaps the key thing might be the video capabilities of the t3i? I would suggest two things - see if you can see these cameras in a store, to get a sense of how they feel - you may like one more than the other because of that. One other thing is the website < www.dpreview.com > They have incredibly complete reviews of each camera - something like 15 or more pages per camera. It can make your head hurt.

Anonymous said...

thank you! the video capabilities are of interest to me but the ability to take pictures in low light is very important. i will check dpreview.