Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Hiding in the Shadows


I was out on the porch tonight after dark, roasting coffee beans. I had the porch light on, and happened to glance over at the dogwood tree. This tree has not been doing well for the last few years - it is probably not long for this world. What struck me was how dark and mysterious the tree seemed in this light. It seems very spooky And I love how it nearly blends in with the background. I shot it in color, of course, but the color was very distracting and actually seemed to take away from the design of the photo, so I converted it to black and white. It makes a much stronger image, I think.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

At first glance it is definitiely the 'October Monster'. Can you imagine being 4 or 5 years old and seeing that outside your window at night.....I am sure the black and white photo is what makes that image come to life.

Anonymous said...

Are you getting ready for spooky Halloween already? :-)
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

We do need to go buy a pumpkin. The local "Pumpkin Patch" at the church around the corner just got their delivery of punkins, so we need to go viit!

Anonymous said...

it is very "halloween"!
roasting coffee beans?? is there ANYTHING you don't do? :)

Ken Spencer said...

Well, I haven't done bungee jumping yet. I was tempted one time on the bridge from Zimbabwe to Zambia, but I chickened out... :-)