Monday, October 3, 2011

In Ruins


Some years ago I built a pretty little corner garden in the back yard. I made it from brick, but decided to just stack the brick without using mortar. I like the more rustic look of not using mortar. I carefully leveled the ground and built the walls. There is also an advantage that water could run out of the garden through the open joints. Only one problem - every two or three years part of the wall falls down! Usually during the winter. So it did it again, and I took a great deal of the wall apart to see why it was falling down. Know what the reason is? Right! Roots! There were all kinds of tree roots and ivy and other roots that crept in between the joints, making the bricks unstable. Once I ripped them out, the bricks went back together just fine. One other thing that I love about this wall is the moss that grows on it giving it a really old look.

No comments: