Wednesday, December 21, 2011

America!


New York to Los Angeles covers a distance of 2475 miles, and encompasses an amazing variety of landforms as seen from the air. But this scene topped them all. I think it was on the border of Nebraska and Kansas, and most of the ground was brown, but there was a narrow swath of snow running east to west for maybe a hundred miles, and it was maybe 20 to 30 miles wide. I never realized a storm could be this localized. Anyhow, what caught my eye at first were brown fields with straight lines of snow on one edge. I guess the snow had drifted because of the winds. A bit further along this came into view. I am assuming that some of the wavy lines had to do with contour ploughing, but I can't be sure. It feels as if this is some kind of a child's collection of blocks. To me, it is an astounding image.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an amazing photo. I first thought of tiles until I read your story.
Joan

Anonymous said...

I thought it was a collection of tiles - unbelievable! Very cool!! bsk

ken schwarz said...

I agree with above comments - definitely looks like tiles. I've never seen fields like this from the air with so much interesting detail.

Anonymous said...

I also thought it was tile. Incredible!

Anonymous said...

Sam wishes he could fly all day and night capturing stuff he sees from airplanes. Lighting and the wonderful "designs" of both nature and humanity make it a crime to watch a movie while flying.