Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Night Train


I got a late train out of Penn Station the other night after the concert. It arrived here in Glen Head at about a quarter after midnight. As I was walking down the platform I saw this crossing gate illuminated by the sodium vapor lights, giving the scene a strange reddish cast. I think that was what first made me stop to look more carefully at the scene. I had to struggle with the composition - there was a telephone pole very close so I did shots including it, and then excluding it. Then I spent a LOT of time trying to decide whether or not I liked the black and white version better. That was a struggle. I decided I liked the strange red light best. But the bad part is, there is no train! I think this picture would be much better if the train was disappearing in the distance. Duh! I may go try this photo all over again, and get the train next time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sam is reminded of scenes in some old movie or TV show. The almost monochromatic "tone" approaches sepia, except for the color band on the Glen Head sign.

Dark and mysterious... . Maybe a '55 Ford police car sedan will show up, big gumball machine on top... .

Pete said...

Fantastic post.

Really enjoyed reading it and it held my attention all the way through! Keep it up.

Read my Latest Post