Sunday, December 11, 2011

Another Christmas Party


We went to another Christmas party this afternoon with friends who we met when our kids were in school together. That was a long time ago. Anyhow, I met one of the grandchildren and was told that he loved science. He is 12 years old. I forget how the conversation with him started, but somewhere along the line I told him I built a telescope, and he was surprised, and asked how I did it. So we got a piece of paper, and I started drawing the telescope I built. He was fascinated, so I then explained about two different kinds of telescopes how they both worked. He still seemed interested so I spent some time talking about astronomy. Then I remembered I had a pair of binoculars in the car, and Jupiter was in the sky, so we went outside and I showed him where it was. He was able to see Jupiter and two of its moons, and he thought that was pretty cool. A couple of hours later he got to look at the rising full Moon. Here is the best part - I promised I would bring my telescope back to their house, at the next first quarter moon, and show everyone the Moon and Jupiter. Now THAT will be cool!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Love the pic, Ken! My Billy looks beautiful against that background. He cannot wait for you to come back. Thanks for spending such quality time with him.

Ken Spencer said...

It was a wonderful time for me - there is a teaching part of me that most times is hidden away. It was fun to see him enjoy the things were talking about!