Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Gingerbread Cookies!


Well, I made my annual batch of Gingerbread cookies! Yummm... This is a fairly old New England recipe - my grandmother got it from her friend, and passed it along to my mom and she passed it along to my sisters and I. I am guessing that the recipe is 80 or 90 years old. And if you ever have one of these cookies, you will be ruined for life! There are generous portions of the spices and molasses that make up this recipe, and it is so much better than commercial gingerbread cookies that you buy. You make the dough, and then refrigerate it for an hour, then divide it up and roll it out, and use cookie cutters to make the cookies. That cutter that looks like a Dutch girl? I made that outline years ago, but I have no idea what it was based on. It is certainly not "a gingerbread man." It doesn't matter - one taste and you will be hooked forever!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can smell them! Jenny is planning to make them in your absence this year.
Joan

ken schwarz said...

Yum! I'm sticking my nose out the window in hopes the aroma from your homemade gingerbread cookies may drift south.

Anonymous said...

Can you once again share the receipe?

What a wonderful tradition!

Ken Spencer said...

Whoops! I think you asked me to share the recipe last year, and I *think* I forgot... :-( I will do this, but I am presently in Los Angeles, and I don't have the recipe with me. Can you remind me after the beginning of the year, please?

Anonymous said...

Actually, I am making them again this year. I had such a good time last year that I will make them again. I will try to decorate a few like mom used to do. Good for you - baking them to take with you for your trip...Don't eat them all on the plane :-)