Tuesday, June 11, 2013

A Friend Like This


Is this magic, or what!  This is my favorite subject - the Japanese Maple tree in the side yard.  Why does it look so different? Because it was recorded in Infrared light.  All digital cameras are sensitive to IR light, but the manufacturers put in a special filter that blocks this light.  So my friend Dean, who lives in Tucson, Arizona had his camera modified by having the filter removed, and then it can take pictures like this.  I haven't known Dean for that long, and yet he said that I really should try shooting with an IR camera for a while.  So he put it into a box, and mailed it to me, just like that!  Is that a friend, or what!  I have been going nuts shooting with this - it sees the whole world differently.  Any plant with chlorophyl reflects infrared light, and so that vegetation appears white.  You may soon get bored with me shooting up a storm with my temporary new playtoy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't think I'll get bored with more photos like this - it does look magical! Looks like snow all over...bsk

Anonymous said...

It is so blasted hot here in Florida that even at night in an air-conditioned room and with all the lights out, the excess IR will make cause you to overexpose any image that includes a wall.

Sam

Anonymous said...

That is so neat!! how does it print...same as a black n white?

Ken Spencer said...

I am sorry I missed this question. It prints just like I would print a digital black and white image. My Epson 2880 printer has a black cartridge and three gray cartridges, so it makes beautiful full-toned black and white images.