Friday, June 28, 2013

Borrowing More Stuff


I took this photograph from a long way off.  You all know that Dean has loaned me his infrared camera, right?  Well, I borrowed something else to play with, from my friend John.  For the technically inclined, it is an 80mm refracting telescope, made by William Optics.  Its focal length is 555mm.  A common telephoto lens for a camera is 200mm, or maybe 300mm.  This telescope makes for a LONG telephoto lens.  I took it to Memorial Park in Sea Cliff which is about 200 feet above Hempstead Harbor, and was looking around for something interesting.  There was a sailing class going on, and they were doing some practice in rounding racing marks.  It's not a real race, because the boats are not of the same type.  It is kind of fun to put on a long lens like this, and then learn to look at the landscape,  squinting into the distance, to try and find a photograph from a long way away.

No comments: