Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Boat Sculpture


I think this looks like a modern sculpture.  But it's not.  I am on the deck of the sailboat I was on last Saturday, looking up at the mast and boom.  The mast is the straight tapered piece that is bright white.  It is unstayed.  The boom is called a "wishbone" boom, and the sail does not attach to it along the foot of the sail.  The sail is attached to the mast, and the clew is attached only to the end of the boom.  The rig looks kind of strange, but it is really easy to use when single-handling this boat.  If you want to see more, go look up "Nonesuch" yachts.  Sorry for all the technical stuff - I know a couple of sailors who check the blog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate all the technical stuff!! thanks!

ken schwarz said...

My wishbone wishes I was on a sailboat right now. A club footed jib can make single handed sailing a little bit more hands free but a wishbone for the main doesn't really help much. Yes, Nonsuch boats were intended to be easier to sail.

Ken Spencer said...

I just couldn't deal with no jib at all. The skipper said that it pointed OK, but it just seemed strange. We never had enough of a breeze to see how it did upwind.