Friday, June 20, 2014

Reflected City


I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art today to see some specific exhibits - more on that in the next couple of days.  This is "The Roof Garden Commission" by Dan Graham.  It is a garden that has been built on the roof of the museum.  It is hard to show what it looks like, exactly, but it involves hedges, and artificial grass, and huge curved panes of glass that have been partially coated with a reflective material, like the facades of office buildings.  So depending on where you stand, you can see yourself, and the city, and at other places you see no reflections at all, as in a part of this view.  So this is fun picture to look at.  The photographer can be seen in the reflection - can you find him?  Be sure and click on this to see it in a larger size - there are a lot of interesting details.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course I can see the photographer. He is the only one on the roof with a white shirt on! :-) Great photo looks like a very interesting place to visit.
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

Busted! The white shirt always gives me away!

Anonymous said...

This looks like a painting. If it was cropped to cut off the glass frame, I'd be fooled for sure.

Ken Spencer said...

Anonymous: Thanks for your comment. I was torn about whether or not to eliminate anything that would connect with reality. I thought of cropping so that all you would see was the impressionistic part. But then I decided to link that to the reality of the frame and of a couple of people who were not reflected.

Anonymous said...

At first, I thought it was a rain and dirt splattered window. Then I saw the distortion. When I magnified it, I thought I saw you but your hair looks "white" - not sure. After reading the description, of course, it was you. Your next blog will be titled " Find the Photographer" :-) bsk