Tuesday, May 19, 2015

If I Were a Carpenter...




I haven't done any carpentry around here in a while.  This project is long overdue, however.  I have rebuilt the front steps three times now, since we bought the house in 1971.  Originally there were two 4x4 inch posts at the top and bottom of the stairs, with a 2x4 hand rail.  Not very fancy, but at least there was a railing.  Cut to 44 years later, and it was long past time to build a new railing!  I went down to Home Depot, and bought two newel posts, as they are called, and seven balusters, a hand rail, and a bottom rail.  It was fun making the calculations and the diagonal cuts for everything on my bench saw.  I worked carefully and everything went together nicely.  It became even more beautiful after the white paint.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I started singing the rest of the song "If I Were a Carpenter" by Tim Hardin after I saw your post. You ARE a carpenter since you pulled off creating a new hand rail for the porch steps. Looks great!! What a difference after you painted the plain wood. Impressive! bsk

Anonymous said...

I am impressed. A few steps up from 2x4. I know you have done many home improvement projects more difficult that this. It looks so nice.
Joan

ken schwarz said...

Masterful job - looks great!

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you all, and I am glad that Betsey picked up on my title, based on the Tim Hardin song! She gets a prize for that!