Saturday, May 30, 2015

Memorial



I walked into one of the galleries at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, saw this, and was stopped in my tracks!  There is something so powerful about the way the angel is holding the man.  I couldn't imagine what the sculpture was about, but I found it so moving.  Turns out it is a memorial by the Pennsylvania Railroad to the 1,307 employees who gave their lives in World War II.  This particular piece is the maquette for the final sculpture.  This is about life size, and the final piece is thirty nine feet tall.  It is called Angel of the Resurrection by Walker Hancock. So get this:  The finished sculpture is in the 30th street station in Philadelphia.  A light bulb went off in my head, and I think that maybe I saw the finished piece when I was in Philadelphia some years back.  And I think I may have photographed it, but who has time to try and find the image, after 8 years of posting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very powerful. It is hard to imagine the piece in Philadelphia at 39 feet tall.
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

Thanks, Joan: I am really curious about whether or not I shot the Philadelphia statue, so I am going to go look for the original photographs. It will take some time...

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Ken. I also cannot imagine the statue at 39 feet tall. Quite an incredible piece! bsk