Thursday, May 7, 2015

Macro Jonquils


Obviously I was running wild with my Macro lens!  I saw closeups everywhere I looked!  I guess it's just that I am overjoyed to see any Spring color at all, after this Winter! Years ago I had a fashion model stand amongst some Daffodils, and the woman who was producing the shoot she said she loved that the model was in the "Jonquils."  I had no idea what that meant.  Then it was explained to me.  I just now looked up "Jonquils" and learned an interesting lesson: This term actually refers to a specific type of daffodil known as Narcissus jonquilla, although the name is often used as a more general term for daffodils in certain parts of the country.  Fascinating, right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fascinates me is the way some people are able to remember the various types of dozens of plants and flowers. They call out their names when the flowers are in full bloom, as easily as if calling their children. I don't pretend to know the names of more than a half-dozen flowers, but I appreciate the beauty of every variety and the radical effect they have on the landscape - and on my heart. Things can be going all wrong one day, but come upon a patch of flowers, standing tall and proudly displaying their bright colors that are enhanced by the sun, and all is right with the world. Jonquils or daffodils, whichever name you prefer, whichever is more accurate, I love them all.

Ken Spencer said...

Thanks for your note! I worked with a couple of great garden writers, and when I said I couldn't remember flower names to save my soul, the woman said: "It's easy, just learn the Latin names, and you can see all the connections between the flowers!" I still can't remember more than 6 flower names, so you are not alone!