Monday, May 25, 2015

Memorial Day, 2015


I don't have one single great shot from Memorial Day this year, so I will post a bunch of different photographs that will give you a sense of the parade and the memorial ceremony in the park.  I like this photograph for giving a sense of place and a sense of the parade.  I like the Norman Rockwell feeling of all of this.


I try to keep an eye out for people watching the parade, because they can make interesting photographs.  I loved the dog and the flags in this shot.


Every year the parade stops at the memorial at the firehouse to remember the volunteer firemen who have served the village, and have since passed away.


I spotted another photographer along the parade route, and I was impressed while watching him, with the intensity of his focus on his shooting.  And you have to love the woman and the two dogs as well.


Maybe this could have been the stand alone photograph of the day.  All the servicemen in uniform were standing in line at the memorial service at the park.  I was taken by the contrast between these two men.  On the left is a well-known Sea Cliff resident who comes to the ceremonies every year.  He was a Green Beret in Vietnam about 50 years ago.  The Marine on the right has just finished training, and graduated first in his class.  It makes my head spin to imagine what the Green Beret has seen, and what the new Marine will get to see in his career.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all of your photos. Love the last one of the green beret and newly graduated young man. So many stories in the past and what will the future bring?
Joan

Anonymous said...

The first four photos are nice pictures of your local parade. However, the last photo with the story really grabbed me. The history of the Green Beret vet and the future endeavors of a young cadet...bsk

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you both for your comments. I guess I could have just run the last photo, but I was really getting in to photographing the parade, and figured I might as well add those to the collection.