Thursday, May 14, 2015

Photographing in the Dark


I don't do enough portraits on the blog.  I love doing portraits of people, and I should work harder at shooting more of them for this space.  So this is Jessica.  I met her about seven years ago when she was a sophomore in high school, when she came to an ASLI meeting, and said she wanted to build her own telescope, and grind and polish her own mirror!  Cut to seven years later, and she is graduating from Stony Brook University with three majors:  Mechanical Engineering, Physics, and Astronomy! Wow!  She came to our observing session last night, and we stood around talking while waiting for the sky to clear.  The sun had set a while before and it was really dark.  I used my SONY RX II camera, and set the ISO at 12,800, and was stunned at how good the photograph was.  I like the black and white version, because the color casts in the original image were distracting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice photo. Congratulations to Jessica! 3 Majors - she is a brilliant busy young woman.
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

I doubt if anyone would read the text of any of my posts more than once, but I have a correction. I texted Jessica today to tell her she was on my blog. She read it, and said that actually she first came to ASLI when she was a sophomore in high school! So we have known each other for seven years. Wow.

Anonymous said...

I love that Jessica is still in touch! She is an amazing young woman. Nice photo of her. bsk