Sunday, September 3, 2017

A Fungus Among Us


One of the three new plants we bought to put in the garden next to the house has developed a white substance on the top of the leaves.  Uh-oh.  So we went by the nursery where we bought the plants and the "solutions" guy explained that we had "Pottery Mildew" and he suggested we buy a copper based fungicide to spray on the leaves.  Hope it works.  I went out to take this photograph late in the day, after supper, so it was taken in fading light.  I really love the mood of this photograph, and the monochromatic color scheme. Please be sure to click on the image - it is quite beautiful when you can see it in greater detail.

5 comments:

ginger said...

make that powdery mildew!

Anonymous said...

yup definitely "powdery mildew"

https://www.growingagreenerworld.com/controlling-or-eliminating-powdery-mildew/ for some good overall information.

ld master gardener

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you both! Did I misunderstand the guy saying "pottery mildew" when what he really said "powdery mildew?" That Long Island accent, gets you every time! Thanks so much for the link!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your powdery mildew but I do like the softness and colors of this photo. The crisp leaves, front & center, and the unfocused background. betsey

Ken Spencer said...

Thanks, Betsey. I was taking a photo to show a problem, but when it was done, I found I really loved the sense of the picture - sort of dark and moody, but quite beautiful.