Monday, November 13, 2017

"Brutalism"


This is a detail shot of the front of what once was the Whitney Museum and is now the Met Breuer Museum.  "Breuer" because it was designed by Marcel Breuer and finished in 1966.  The building created a strong modernist statement in a neighborhood of traditional limestone, brownstone, and brick buildings. Considered somber, heavy, and even brutal at the time of its completion in 1966, Breuer's building is now recognized as daring, strong, and innovative. It has come to be regarded as one of New York City’s most notable buildings.  But it is not a building that exudes a feeling of warmth.  I photographed it after leaving an exhibition we saw, and I liked that this made an interesting abstract photograph.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Strong title. Glad you explained the building history and photo as I would not have known what I was looking at. Cool photograph! betsey

Ken Spencer said...

Thanks! I am not that smart, so I have great friends who are. Stan's wife Anne is a docent at the Metropolitan Museum of Art who gives tours of the collection. She and Stan and I were together when leaving the Met Breuer, and she was the one to see what I was shooting and say "Brutalism." I had heard the term, but had to look up more details!