Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Oculus!


The Oculus is an astounding piece of architecture!  It is the new transit hub at the rebuilt World Trade Center site in downtown Manhattan. Designed by architect Santiago Calatrava, the “Oculus” is a train station, plaza and shopping mall adjacent to the memorial site for the September 11, 2001 terror attacks.  In the background is the new Freedom Tower.  The Oculus is astounding both inside and out.  The architect has said he designed the Oculus to resemble a winged dove.  This is the first time I was able to photograph the building without construction fences in front of it.  But I don't have the best photograph yet.  I need to photograph it when the sun is on it, and it will be a brilliant white inmcolor.  I will get back there when things are just right.  Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am happy we got to see this with you as our tour guide last spring.
Joan

Anonymous said...

This view is totally different from what I photographed when you and Joan and I were there. I like your shot. betsey

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you both for your comments. This shot wasn't possible at the time because of construction. Now all that stuff is gone and this shot becomes possible. Now all I need to do it when it has sunlight on it.