Tuesday, November 7, 2017

My First 35mm Camera


I am trying to do some cleaning up and throwing out.  I came across a small faded print of this self-portrait I shot in the bathroom mirror, I am guessing.  I had used an old 620 roll-film camera I got from my mom, and then I bought a Brownie Hawkeye.  But when I used money from my paper route to buy a 35mm camera, it felt as if I had finally arrived!  It had a rapid-advance film lever that was operated with my thumb, just like the pros and their Leicas.  I bought it, by the way, from Lafayette Radio, which was located here on Long Island, of all places.  I have no idea what happened to this camera, unfortunately.  I kind of wish I still had this.  I am a pack rat, so I have most of my other cameras I owned after this.

7 comments:

Photodude Images said...

OMG, you invented the selfie!!!

Anonymous said...

very very cool picture. Needs to be framed !!!

Anonymous said...

Classic picture!-- Stan

Anonymous said...

This is so cool. How old were you in this photo?
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

Let me guess that I was in 7th or 8th grade. I think I was not in High School yet, because I was still doing the paper route, I think. So that would have put me at about 13 or 14. Maybe younger...

Anonymous said...

looks like the cover of a Saturday Evening Post !!!

Anonymous said...

You look almost exactly the same except that you wear glasses now. Love that you did a "selfie"!! You really need to keep this photo. betsey