Sunday, November 19, 2017

NYC Mural Arts Project


When I was walking over to Photo Expo, as I passed through Hell's Kitchen I walked past a long mural and it immediately grabbed my attention.  I am thinking that it was nearly 50 feet long, and this is just one small part of it.  There was some text explaining that it was part of the NYC Mural Arts Project.  The headline on the text said:  “Some days I have to push myself to go outside and walk to the park.  Say Hello!  We can embrace ourselves and open doors together.”  The mural was painted by 27 artists.  Here is their explanation of the project: "The New York City Mural Arts Project uses a collaborative mural-making process to discuss mental health and foster new social interactions in New York City’s communities. We work with community-based organizations, artists, people living with a mental health diagnosis, and the community at large to break down misconceptions and stigma associated with mental illness. Together, we translate our conversations into a mural that reflects the diversity and strength of everyone involved in the mural-making process."  This was an impressive mural to see - I wish I could have shown you all of it!  

No comments: