Monday, April 30, 2018

It Called to Me...


I couldn't help myself!  This camera called to me, over and over again, each time I passed the table where it was on display.  You must admit it is a beautiful instrument, and it is in great shape.  After I bought it, I went on eBay to see what cameras like this cost, and they were all much more expensive than this one, and they were not in as good shape.  It is a 4x5 camera and I have used modern 4x5 cameras in my work and for photographing landscapes over the years.  I did get a film holder for this particular camera, and I actually have plans to try and take some pictures with it.  I think I will start with shooting landscapes with paper negatives, instead of film negatives.  We will see...  Please click on this image to see the camera in more detail.


And if anyone is curious what it takes to do a nice photograph of my new camera, here is a photograph of the studio I set up on the dining room table.  The camera is sitting on a roll of light gray background, and that is a light bank suspended on a pole over the camera.  It takes a while to set all this up, but the results are worth it.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Ken,
Since I had the priveledge of meeting you I have enjoyed this blog, every day. Thank you for making yourself so available. Your adventures, and the photo documentation of them, are fantastic and inspirational to me. Keep up the great work, in the best of health and spirits!
73, Gary

ken schwarz said...

Your new toy is stunningly beautiful and I am very sure we will be seeing a lot of great and creative images coming from your antique camera. Having spent decades in the fabric/coated fabric industry I am curious to know if the bellows is original? I would doubt it from what I can see from your photograph - even old antique cars need new tires from time to time!

PS: After seeing and reading yesterday's blog post, it's no surprise to me that you bought one of the classic old cameras! Enjoy!!!

Anonymous said...

Your new camera is beautiful! I would not have imagined that you would be able to take photos with it. I'll look forward to your creative photos.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Kathy must just love when you set up special photo shoots :-) Your new "old" camera is remarkable. I love the wood. Can't wait to see what you will be photographing in the future with your "gem"! betsey

Ken Spencer said...

Gary, thanks so much for leaving your wonderful comments. I am so glad to hear you find my blog fun to read, and inspirational. It is great to hear from you!

And thank you to everyone else for your comments. Now I really have to come through with an interesting photo or two with the new camera. It will be a while before I can get the photo paper I need and do some tests, but stay tuned.

Photodude Images said...

Ok, so the cat is out of the bag. Your official story is "I'm a retired pro photographer, and I have only a few cameras and basic lenses but not a whole lot of other gear." Now we see the photographic evidence which includes large light boxes, boom stands, and rolled backdrop paper also on a stand. I bet your garage is a mini B&H.