Thursday, April 5, 2018

Visiting for the Day


The park is just across the river from Mexico.  Before 9/11 there was never a problem for citizens of both countries to casually cross the river to visit family and friends for the day.  Now everything is different, not in a good way.  At certain spots in the park, people from Mexico come across the river and bring things they have made, for sale.  Much of it is on the honor system.  I first encountered a collection of painted walking sticks, and little scorpions made out of copper wire and other hand made trinkets.  There was no one there but there was a jar with some money in it. I bought a walking stick for $10.  Further on I came across this gentleman, and  bought a stitched cactus on fabric.  We had a nice conversation, and he asked if I had any granola bars with me.  I had none.  But I said I was coming back the next day, so I brought a bag of trail mix, two granola bars, and some sugar cookies when I returned.  Life is not easy for a lot of people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look forward to seeing your walking stick. I love thanT you would return with granola bars or snacks. Simple things can make someone smile.
Joan

Anonymous said...

I like the man's hat. I would like to see the walking stick you bought. Nice of you to return with snacks :-) betsey