Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Stratocumulus asperitas


I saw these unusual clouds when I got down to the harbor one day last week.  I don't remember seeing clouds like this before.  So I photographed them and then sent a copy of the photo to a friend of mine in the astronomy club.  He was trained as a meteorologist in his native Romania when he was younger.  George knows about weather, and he loves clouds!  He is a member of, I am not kidding,  "The Cloud Appreciation Society."  If you have any curiosity or love of the beauty of clouds, you should check this website out!  So he replied: "You were lucky to spot some stratocumulus asperitas,  a new type recognized only since 2017.  The founder of the Cloud Appreciation Society, Gavin Pretor-Pinney, convinced the World Meteorological Organization to add this type to the International Cloud Atlas.  The scientists said that it is gravity waves that produce them. These are pressure waves in the atmosphere."  Wow, I love having such smart friends who I can turn to to learn new things!


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the gray and stillness of the photo! Interesting information about the clouds too. A few new facts I learned. The waves in the clouds are very easy to see. Trace

Anonymous said...

Love the folded look of the clouds. Never knew there is a Cloud Appreciation Society - you should definitely join this group. betsey