Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Do You See a Comet?


First thing, please click on this photograph to enlarge it.  It is a photograph of part of the night sky and you will see numerous stars when you enlarge the photo.  Now, look and see if you can see a fuzzy, blurry whitish odd shaped grayish comet-looking thing?  You don't see that?  Neither do I and that is a disappointment.  A small group of us went looking for the comet tonight out at the Vanderbilt Museum.  It was COLD - 28 degrees, and it was windy too - from 10 to 15 MPH winds.  The good news is that I was able to find the comet in my 8" diameter telescope, and I was able to show it to half a dozen people who wanted to see it.  So I did see it.  But I didn't manage to photograph it.  It was in the sky that didn't have any really bright stars as a reference.  So I did a series of photos where I took one photo then moved the camera to the left and took another and so on, a couple of times, but I was disappointed, when I got home, to discover the comet was not in any of the photos.  Oh well, at least I saw it with my own eyes through my telescope.  Such is the life of a comet hunter.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your persistence. Nice starry night.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Kudos for trying! At least you saw it...betsey