Friday, February 10, 2023

In The Dark


If this photograph seems too dark, that's because it was taken in the dark.  Really.  One of the three women in the portrait photography exhibit only shoots 16mm movie film.  She doesn't make prints at all of any of the subjects she films.  Anyhow, we were sitting in this little theater room that they constructed for this exhibit, watching one of her movies, and Stan got up to look at the projector.  I turned around and saw this scene and asked him not to move.  So here is where the amazing ability of my SONY a7 III comes into the picture, so to speak.  I set the ISO (which we used call "film speed") to 12,800 which is an astounding number.  I used to use Tri-X black and white film at 400 speed, and the faster films were 1,600.  So this ISO with the SONY is crazy sensitive.  And my shutter speed was 1/4 second.  You really can't hold a camera steady for that long of an exposure, but the SONY has a built-in image stabilization function that electronically steadies the camera!  This photograph is tack sharp!  And I like that the image is kind of mysterious at first, until you read this caption.

 

No comments: