Monday, February 20, 2023

These Buildings are Historic!


These buildings are historic and I have waited years to photograph them!  The other day when I drove by I realized that I had a chance, finally!  Can you guess what these buildings are part of?  They are the remains of the storied Republic Aviation Corporation which produced some of the most famous aircraft in military history.  So these buildings have been abandoned since the plant at Republic Airport was shut down in about 1965.  I didn't arrive on Long Island until November of 1966.  So the town used the spaces between these buildings for storing huge long piles of some kind of mulch that completely filled up the area.  You couldn't see the buildings from eye level.  And there was a chain link fence around everything so I couldn't get on the property.  I did do at least one post of these buildings as seen through the fence.  The other day as I drove by I noticed that part of the chain link fence was on the ground, and all the mulch was gone!  I quickly parked my car, grabbed my camera and ran across the road and onto the property!  I was in heaven, even though it was raining slightly.  I spent nearly an hour exploring these buildings.  They all have wooden roofs that are rotted, so I did not go into any of them, but photographed them from the outside through windows or openings in the walls.  So here are photographs of the exteriors of two buildings.  I will show you more photographs in another post!  Be sure and click on these to see more detail.




 

2 comments:

ken schwarz said...

An alternative title for today's blog post could be: "Attractive Nuisance". An "attractive nuisance" is a term used by insurance companies to describe potentially dangerous hazards on a property that might attract children's curiosity such as a child with a camera exploring and photographing old abandoned and dilapidated buildings!

Ken Spencer said...

Primo! You got this right! One of my favorite things I love to photograph are "attractive nuisances!" I did a major photographic essay on "the Ruins of War" on Long Island - military shore batteries, and abandoned Nike sites. The beauty of that was, with the reputation of the paper behind me I could agencies to unlock places and accompany me inside! Now THAT'S a 12 year-old's dream!