Friday, February 17, 2023

Gobsmacked!


I had to go to a welding supply store today, out in Melville. Melville, where Newsday used to be, and where I spent almost 30 years of my life working at a wonderful job with great people.   About 5 years after I retired, the Times Mirror company which owned the land under the Newsday building, sold it out from under the company.  By then, Newsday was owned by the son of the Cablevision founder, and was greatly reduced in size and the number of employees.  So they have moved to a corporate office building nearby, with really modern facilities and a high tech TV studio.  So the Newsday building on this site was demolished starting about 3 years ago, and a brand new, giant warehouse has been built on the property. I had heard about a warehouse, but nothing prepared me for the size and the extent of the building!  I truly was gobsmacked!  That's a British term meaning "utterly astonished; astounded."  and I was all of that!  The Newsday building was two stories tall - this warehouse is twice that height!  And on top of that, there is another warehouse to the left of this one!  Not quite as large, but the transformation of the old Newsday site is really unimaginable!  BE SURE and click on this photograph - it is an extra large file and you will be amazed at all you can see!


This is a reminder of what the old Newsday building looked like, during demolition.  I should see if I can find a wider angle photograph so you can see more of the old building.



 

3 comments:

ken schwarz said...

I'm not sure what struck me first when I looked at this photo of a brand new warehouse. I will begin by saying that the time of day, the element of wet pavement and the glow of lights really make the shot. Also, the sharp transition from grass to pavement adds greatly to the composition. And lastly, I am impressed with architect's selection of exterior materials rendering an otherwise bland utilitarian building into something that is pleasing to the eye. I am not saying I would want to live next to this warehouse but I think it's probably the most pleasing looking large warehouse I have ever seen. This is a very nice photograph! Perhaps you should contact the owner/manager to see if they what a copy of this photo for their office or sales brochure?

Ken Spencer said...

Primo: Thanks so much for your careful analysis. The funny thing is that I made a beautiful photograph out of this warehouse, and that was not my intent. I just happened to be there at the exact right time with dusk and the rain and the lights on.
I just can't help myself... Beauty above all things!

Anonymous said...

The shine of the lights on the wet pavement really made this photo special. It's not just a massive building anymore. betsey