Friday, February 24, 2023

Flag Day


I have passed this fence on my walk every time I go out.  The other day I was surprised to see these four tiny pink flags placed at the base of the fence.  And I am not sure why there is pink paint on the gravel under the flags.  There have been a lot of new spray painted hieroglyphics on the sidewalks down in this area recently.  Many of the sidewalk markings are to show where pipes and electrical conduits are buried.  Perhaps that is the purpose of these flags.  In any case, I love the pink color against the dark green fence and the random pink gravel. As to what it signifies?  I will let you know if I ever find out.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My curiosity got me and I had to google pink flags which are temporary survey markings. Red, yellow and orange are for utilities. Pink is also used to mark mysteries if a utility cannot be identified. Do you think they spray painted the gravel in the event someone removed the flags? The bright pink against the dark do catch your eye!
Joan

Anonymous said...

I hope you figure out the mystery...I was certainly drawn to this photo because of the bright pink flags! betsey

Ken Spencer said...

Joan: That is brilliant! It never occurred to me to Google "temporary Survey Markings!" Who even knew that's what these flags are called! You are awesome and way ahead of me in researching this one! I am thinking that they had to spray paint the flags because they didn't have that color, and the overspray got on the gravel. I am glad that both of you were drawn to the pink flags, as I was!