Sunday, September 24, 2023

A Fast Mover!


I was surprised to find this aircraft parked right outside the building I go to for my flying, at Brookhaven Airport.  I am guessing that the pilot was just visiting.  I haven't seen it before.  Strange looking airplane, don't you think?  It is the brilliant work of an incredible aircraft designer Burt Rutan.  It would take my whole blog to list all the famous aircraft he has designed!  Two of the aircraft are Space Ship One, and the aircraft that carries it from the ground up to where it is launched, called White Knight One.  Please look them up in Wikipedia.  This aircraft is homebuilt and was first made in 1975.  They stopped selling plans for it in 1985.  What is astounding about this airplane is that its cruise speed is 165 MPH and it has a 100 Horsepower engine.  The Cessna 172 I fly has a 160 horsepower engine and only flies at 140 MPH!  Oh, I forgot to tell you what it is called - this is the Rutan Vari-Eze.  It is of composite construction and is a high performance aircraft.  I believe the Eze "easy" refers to the ease of construction. 
.
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cool looking airplane. I did look at the other two designed by the same man, Burt Rutan. Space Ship One is strange looking and White Knight One is very sleek. Wouldn’t you just love to take a ride in the Rutan Vari-Eze? Betsey

Anonymous said...

It is crazy to see the many different planes he has designed. When are you going to visit the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum?
Joan