Saturday, September 23, 2023

The Last Cornstalks


I was coming back from Home Depot on the back road, and as I passed by Rottkamp Brothers Farm, where you can go buy vegetables and corn, in season, I saw this.   By the large empty field by the side of the road, there were these last stalks of corn.  I realized right away there was a picture there!  So I turned around and went back.  This is pretty much how I visualized the photograph, even as I was driving by.  The last corn stalks in the field.


So I thought I would try a different view and underexpose it so the stalks would be silhouetted against the sky.  It is also an interesting photograph I think.  So I am curious which one of the two photographs you like best.   

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I normally pick a favorite immediately. I cannot decide as they are both unique photos. Love the first one for its faded colors signaling fall has arrived and the second photo has an eerie feel like a storm is brewing. Sad to see the corn season come to an end.
Joan

Richard Loretoni said...

The first one Ken, I like the way the stalks are bending in the wind

Anonymous said...

I prefer the first one because I can see the actual colors of the stalks, the grass, the field and the white fence in the background. The other is too dark and dreary for me. Betsey

Anonymous said...

When I opened up the blog today, the photo just struck me, and I thought what a great photo. I like the top photo especially with the richer color. Trace

Ken Spencer said...

I think you made the right choice for the right reasons! Thank You. The right reasons are that you get more of a sense of the cornstalks and their color than you get in the more dramatic silhouette! Thanks for keeping me on the right path. AND I should note to my frequent readers that if Rich Loretoni picked No.1 then No.1 is the CORRECT answer! No question ever! Rich and I worked together for years at the paper and he was one of the best art directors at Newsday! Thanks for stopping by, Rich!

Anonymous said...

agree with #1. the angle and droop of the stalks tells the story. no words needed. (and if i had thought i preferred the second one, rich’s choice would have changed my mind immediately. hi rich!)

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken,
Way too generous with your compliments!
Miss working with you on those special projects at Newsday. Stay well

Rich L