Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Pond Scum


This time of year this pond us oftentimes covered with this green "pond scum."  I was taken by the pattern of the different green things growing on the surface, and the shapes they make as whatever grows on the water is moved around by the wind.  I like the differing colors and the patterns.


So I also did a close up photographs to show what the surface looks like and discovered that the green was made up of tiny bits of green stuff.  I wondered what that could be, so I did a Google search.  Some of the searches came up with long green stringy stuff that looked like long green human hair, and that wasn't what I saw.  Further searching came up with the fact that there was probably algae, AND two other things:  Duckweed and Watermeal.  The photographs showed what looked exactly like what you see in the photograph above!



 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of courae you researched i! Thank you for the info. I never thought I would say that the pond scum looks so interesting and pretty. :-)
Joan

Anonymous said...

Never knew that pond scum was actually good for ducks and turtles. Of course, I had to look up duckweed. Now I know it’s a “good thing” as well as making interested patterns on the still water. Betsey