Sunday, September 17, 2023

The Swimmer


Last Tuesday we were at the beach having coffee and a donut, and near the end of our stay I caught something out of the corner of my eye.  It was an arm that appeared by itself, it seemed over the water then it was gone!  So I watched and it appeared again.  This swimmer was amazing to watch.  So little of him appeared above the water and his form just seemed perfect.  Look at the curve of the arm and hand above the water here.


In between strokes, he almost seemed to disappear!


And here he is taking a breath so we can see a bit more of him.  But he seemed to be moving effortlessly and barely disturbed the water.  I am so envious of his ability to swim like that.  I never learned to do what was called back then "the Australian crawl."  I swim by using the breast stroke, the sidestroke and the back stroke, which would keep me afloat, but this swimmer could get somewhere in a hurry.  About 100 feet after he passed us, he stood up in the water, walked to his towel on the beach, dried himself off and then walked to his car.  I am in awe of him!

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Impressive. I don't think I have heard the term Australian Crawl before. Entertainment at the beach.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Strong, powerful swimmer. I am envious also. He makes it look easy. Can’t believe the photo you got of him just underneath the surface of the water - great shot! Never know what you’ll see at the beach on Dunkin’ Tuesdays… Betsey

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken, did you also know there was a rock band named Australian Crawl in the 80s, lead singer is James Reyne, who tends to swallow his words so for a non-English speaking person like me, I could never fathom what he’s singing about. I guess I also learned how to swim Australian crawl, sometimes it’s interesting to see some people use a straight arm style vs those who angle their arms at the elbow. I think it’s also referred to as overarm style. Nha Le