Tuesday, September 19, 2023

"For Pasta..."


Tuesday finds us, where else, but at the beach.  Near the end of our breakfast we saw this man coming down the beach with the bright pink wash basin.  He would bend down, and pick something up and put it in the basin.  We had no idea.  After I took this photograph he started back up the beach and when he looked up he may have seen me taking a photograph of him.  He was done with his searching and he walked directly toward us.  When he got close, he lowered his pink basin and there were snails in it!  Then he said: "For pasta..."  in a thick Italian accent!  Then he told us the name of what he was collecting in Italian and we smiled at each other and off he went!  What a wonderful chance meeting, and so nice of him to come over and tell us what he was doing!


I continued photographing as he walked back down by the water's edge, and when the gulls got up and were flying around him I realized that was a photo too.  But the first photo, was the one which explained  more what of what he was about.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the second photo of him with the seagulls in flight and his concentration looking for snails. I'm am curious but not ready to cook snails for pasta dinner.
Joan

Anonymous said...

I like the man’s colorful attire with his green hat, blue shoes and carrying a pink bucket. The second photo made me chuckle since the man is walking away with food that the seagulls want. Great idea to add snails to pasta! Betsey

ken schwarz said...

To be be honest, instead of taking in today's subject, composition and colors, etc. my mind went straight to Hempstead Harbor's water quality. I got on my Swim Guide App to see if there was any information concerning bacteria and pollutants but it only mentioned the word "grey" which meant no current data was available for Hempstead Harbor. A couple other Google searches indicated that Long Island Sound and its bays are making progress in achieving cleaner water; especially, towards the eastern end of Long Island. I hope the swimmer from a couple days ago and the snail chef today will continue to enjoy the harbor.