Saturday, April 27, 2024

Light and Shade


Because we stripped the wallpaper from the walls in the upstairs bathroom, I have to work extra hard with using joint compound to fix every little ding and imperfection on the walls so that when I paint, the walls will be beautiful.  In this corner of the bathroom is a wooden box that runs from floor to ceiling and it contains the vent for the soil pipe, that black 4" diameter cast iron pipe that was used in old houses.  That iron pipe is the drain for the toilet and tub and sink.  It needs to be vented out through the roof.  So I have had to tape the interior corners using a new nylon tape that looks like a gauze bandage.  And then I apply several coats of joint compound so I have a perfectly smooth interior corner after it has been painted.  Anyhow, as I was looking carefully for imperfections, I suddenly noticed the subtle play of light and shadow.  It seemed so ethereal, as if wasn't quite there.  So I had to photograph it, of course.


Just to give you a better idea, I backed up to show the whole scene.  The detail photo, was taken of the center part of this photograph.  And now you know more about plumbing as well.  You're welcome...   :-)




 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your skills and perfectionism continue to amaze me. Love the play of light.
Joan

Anonymous said...

You might hire out to family! Excellent job!!

Anonymous said...

A homeowner’s work is never done! Thank goodness you have another bathroom while you are doing all this work. Betsey