Saturday, April 13, 2024

The West Garden Loggia


Well, I had to look up the name of this structure!  And I learned a new word: "Loggia."  This is a photograph of the loggia in the west garden of the George Eastman Museum.  What caught my eye are the vines growing up on the open parts of the loggia. During the growing season, these vines all have leaves on them, so what grabbed my attention is the bare shapes of the vines which are striking with parts of the vines seeming to reach out. That's what I saw that made me realize there was a photograph here.  About the loggia: "A loggia (from the Italian word for ‘lodge’) is an outdoor corridor or gallery with a fully covered roof and an outer wall that is open to the elements. Traditionally, loggias either ran along the facade of a building or could exist as a stand-alone feature. The open outer side of the loggia is usually supported by several columns or decorative arches.  I hope you found this as interesting as I did.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a nice photo of the Loggia with its columns and the vines. It is amazing how strong and thick the vines can grow. It's also nice to see the green color of spring and summer coming in on the borders of the photo. Trace

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy learning something new from your blog. It is amazing to look at how thick some of the vines are and some really twisted. I hope to see a photo of the Loggia again in full bloom if you are visiting in Summer or Fall.
Joan

Anonymous said...

I like the twisted vines outside the loggia. What a beautiful piece of Italian architecture. Betsey