Tuesday, April 23, 2024

What a Mess!


I could also title this blog post "Fun With Plaster!"  We needed to re-do our upstairs bathroom.  We re-did the bathroom maybe 5 years after we bought the house, and I put down a new plywood floor and a new vinyl floor covering, and ripped out the lathe and plaster walls and replaced them with sheetrock, after re-doing all the plumbing and electrical wiring.  I used cement board around the bathtub and then I tiled the wall after installing new fixtures in the bath.  We wallpapered the walls with a beautiful dark green wallpaper with a nice pattern on it.  I also put new sheetrock over the lathe and plaster ceiling.  Over the years, I am guessing that it was the moisture in the bathroom that caused little cracks to form in the ceiling.  The edges of the cracks rose up above the level of the sheetrock, like tiny mountain ranges.  So I had to begin the process by sanding the entire ceiling to make it flat again.  Then I primed it and then did a finish coat so the ceiling looks brand new.  Man what a messy job.  I even bought myself this fashionable Tyvek coverall to keep a lot of the plaster dust off me.  Kathy stripped the old wallpaper off and I will be painting the walls when we are done.  I will be sure and post a photo of the finished bathroom.  Stay tuned.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a big project. It's nice you both are working on completing it together. Hope to see a photo of it when it is done. Trace

Anonymous said...

Wow! That’s an enormous amount of work! Tackling this kind of project just shows how amazing you are! Betsey

Anonymous said...

You two are amazing. I won't stand on a ladder to change the fleurescent lights in the kitchen ceiling and you are standing on a ladder and sink to sand the ceiling. Glad you have great balance and determination. I'll look forward to photos of the finished project.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Incredible job! Can’t wait to see the finished product!!