Saturday, April 6, 2024

The Organist


I went for my usual visit to the George Eastman Museum, as I always do when in Rochester.  And it turned into a spectacular visit!  Why?  Because it was the weekend and the organist at the museum was playing the organ!  This organ is the largest organ ever installed in a home!  The main console, which is where the organist plays, is in the conservatory.  There are two chambers full of many ranks of organ pipes, one on the north end and one on the south end, both on the second floor.  I don't remember the last time I heard concert music on an organ, except at church.  The best part of the whole visit which included listening to the organist perform, was to have a chance to chat with him and ask questions. 


I mentioned to him that my grandfather Clarke was an organist and an organ builder and repairer. The organist told me some wonderful things, including what kind of music Mr. Eastman liked to hear, and that did not include Bach!  And then, with a twinkle in his eye, he said would you like to hear a toccata and fugue?  I said "Yes" and he was off and running.  What a thrill that was in such a relatively small space, compared to a church, for instance. Then when he was finished with that piece, he asked if I wanted to hear the kind of pieces visitors requested, and he then played a selection from "Phantom of the Opera!"  I mean, come ON!  That was awesome!


When I left, I thanked him profusely, for the performance and the conversation.  I said I came to Rochester for the eclipse, but listening to his music and talking to him made my day!


This is the North Organ Console, and the door to the right leads to the second chamber of organ pipes.  There is a bit of a sad story about this.  There was a fire in Eastman House just before it opened in 1947 and the original console was destroyed!  But due to the generosity of Dr. Richard Zipf, he donated this organ console from his home in California, to Eastman House and included the money required to ship and refurbish it!  What great luck for Eastman House to have such a beautiful replacement.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a bonus for visiting the museum! Sounds amazing. The organist must have enjoyed hearing appreciation for his playing and your being so grateful for his skill and knowledge. Trace

Anonymous said...

Trace just said it all. Very impressive. I love that he asked what you would like to hear and played so many different styles of music for you. I am going to have to dig out a photo of Grandpa Clarke at his organ. I remember all the huge pipes in his basement.
Joan

Anonymous said...

This is a fantastic post! So glad that you got the chance to visit with him. I’m so impressed that he offered to play other music. And Phantom of the Opera - magnificent! Exciting day! Betsey

Anonymous said...

Lucky you to have him played Bach ‘s Toccata & Fugue just for you. May you have clear sky for the eclipse. 🌞 Nha