Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Billion Postcards

I love the Metropolitan Museum of Art for a bunch of reasons, but one of the coolest things is that they allow you, in most cases, to take photographs in the museum.  I love to be able to take snapshots of text that accompanies exhibits, for instance, and I love photographing people looking at paintings and sculptures.  This was a really neat exhibit in the photography department.  The photographer Walker Evans collected postcards from the 1930's and 1940's and had a collection of about 9000 cards when he died.  I am guessing that about 800 were on display in this exhibit.  The cards were from all over the country, and were fascinating to look at.  I even found one from Sea Cliff!  Most were hand colored and the walls were an explosion of color.  You could spend hours looking in the two small rooms where they were on display.

No comments: