Friday, February 6, 2009

The Moon and Sixpence

I saw this scene coming out of the grocery store.  Lovely and haunting, with the first quarter moon shining through the gray storm clouds.  I decided to title this "The Moon and Sixpence" because it just came to me.  I have no idea what it means.  Well, actually I do.  It is from "Of Human Bondage" and it is supposedly about the protagonist being so involved in the idealist realm of Art and Beauty (the Moon) that he overlooked human relationships and the ordinary pleasures of life (the Sixpence at his feet).  Only thing about that philosophy is that for me, Art and Beauty are among the extraordinary pleasures of life.  Whew, a lot of philosophy in this small space...  :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And that is what I love about reading your comments to your pictures. You delight in beauty, art, history, science...
It's wonderful that you express it so well. bsk

Amy said...

Amen to what Betsey said! I love the "philosophy in small spaces." :)

NiteSkyGirl said...

A Reader of my Astronomy blog sent this post to me , really intruiging photo , love the title. Sometimes we don't know where a tittle comes from , it comes from inspiration.